Road Information

Local Road Surface Treatment

Local road surface treatments are paid for by Spring Lake Township. Our contractor uses a 2-step process for repaving: Fiber Mat followed by Black Mat.

Michigan Department of Transportation

MDOT Pothole Damage Claim Information

MDOT Pothole Damage Claim Information

Be advised that the majority of damage claims are denied under governmental immunity laws, MCL 691.1402 and MCL 691.1403 (MDOT Pothole Governmental Immunity).
Highway defect claims (including potholes) should only be submitted to MDOT if damage occurred on a state trunkline (BL I-196, I-96, I-196, M-104, M-6, M-21, M-121, or US-31),
All damage claim forms must be submitted to the Grand Region where damages occurred.
Damage Claims Procedure
1. Download  MDOT Form 3600 – Damage Claim
2. Print and fill out the form completely.
3. Sign and notarize the form.
Note: Notarization is not required to submit a claim, but you are encouraged to do so since claims recommended for payment after the review process must be notarized.
4. Attach supporting documentation.
5. Keep a copy for your records.
6. Return form and documentation to:
Damage Claims
MDOT – Grand Region Office
1420 Front Ave., NW
Grand rapids, MI 49504

Upon receipt of your damage claim under $1,000, MDOT will investigate the incident. Investigations typically take at least 90 days. Be advised that the majority of defect claims are denied under governmental immunity laws.

If your alleged damage claim is $1,000 or more, you can recover only by filing a lawsuit against MDOT. You should consult a private attorney if you want to pursue this option.

Ottawa County Road Commission

Report Road Problems

OCRC is responsible for all roads in the Township, except for private roads, US31, I96 and M104 . Reports should be made to them. Call 616-842-5400 or report online.


Ottawa County Road Commission Information